Sources: L.A. waives Marmol; minors next?
The Los Angeles Dodgers placed reliever Carlos Marmol on outright waivers, with the intention of sending him to the minor leagues, sources told ESPN.com.
Immediately after acquiring him from the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday, the Los Angeles Dodgers placed reliever Carlos Marmol on outright waivers with the intention of sending him to the minor leagues, sources told ESPN.com.
Dodgers officials declined comment on Marmol's status. But according to major league sources outside the Dodgers organization who are familiar with the situation, the Dodgers want to send Marmol to the minors so he can work on fixing his delivery issues in a setting other than a big league pennant race.
One source said Marmol "agreed to work with them" and go to the minors as a condition of the trade that sent him to L.A. after eight often turbulent seasons with the Cubs. Because he has more than six years of major league service time, Marmol would have the right to decline an outright assignment to the minors. However, the sources indicated he has agreed to waive that right if he clears waivers this week.
Marmol has approximately $4.8 million in salary remaining between now and the rest of the season, and he would receive his full salary, even if he returns to the minor leagues. Sources said the Cubs have agreed to pay nearly $2 million of that amount. The Cubs also took on all of the $2.375 million still owed to reliever Matt Guerrier, who was traded for Marmol.
If the Dodgers decide Marmol can't get back to his form of 2010 and 2011, when he saved 72 games and struck out 237 hitters in 151 2/3 innings, and they then release him and another club signs him, the Cubs have agreed to pay the Dodgers an additional portion of Marmol's salary, sources said.
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 13 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos