Phillies' Howard: Too much knee pain to play
For Ryan Howard, the pain became too much.
PHILADELPHIA -- For Ryan Howard, the pain became too much.
The Philadelphia Phillies put their slugging first baseman on the 15-day disabled list Saturday because of inflammation in his left knee.
"It was just really hard to move, really felt stiff," Howard said Sunday after Philadelphia's 7-3 win over Atlanta. "I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. It was more sore than it would normally be."
Howard is scheduled to have an MRI on Monday.
"It's tough because I definitely want to be out there. But at the same time I want to be smart about it," he said.
The three-time All-Star is hitting .266 with 11 homers and 43 RBIs. He said he continued to play through the pain because he thought he could perform.
"I felt I still could go out and play and try to give it a go," he said.
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 32 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 25 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 27 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
23 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
12 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
27 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos