Cubs sign No. 2 overall draft pick 3B Bryant
The Chicago Cubs announced Friday they had agreed to terms with No. 2 overall draft pick Kris Bryant, who took batting practice with the team before their game against the St. Louis Cardinals at Wrigley Field.
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs announced Friday they signed No. 2 overall draft pick Kris Bryant, who took batting practice with the team before their game against the St. Louis Cardinals at Wrigley Field.
The 21-year-old third baseman led the nation with 31 home runs and batted .329 with 62 RBIs for the University of San Diego last season.
"I actually wasn't (surprised by hitting 31 home runs). I expect a lot out of myself," Bryant said. "I put higher expectations on myself than most people do. I know I have the talent in me to do great things on the field. I have been blessed with great, great skill. Yes, I did have a great year."
He will begin his Cubs career at short-season Class-A ball in Boise, Idaho, but will first report to Mesa, Ariz., for a brief tuneup.
Bryant joins a growing stable of intriguing Cubs prospects as the organization rebuilds under president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer.
"I have heard a lot about (the other Cubs prospects), and it is very exciting to be in that group," Bryant said. "I heard about (shortstop prospect Javier) Baez hitting four home runs (in one game this season). I haven't done that yet. All of those guys are great players, and I'd love to get to know them and play alongside them."
The Cubs have signed 24 draft picks, including their first 13 picks, 19 of their first 20 and 22 of their first 25.
ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine contributed to this report.
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 53 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle 11 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
53 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
11 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos