GM: 'Very little chance' that Phils trade Lee
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told MLB Network on Tuesday that there is "very little chance" that Philadelphia will trade Cliff Lee before Wednesday's non-waiver trade deadline.
Lee, a former Cy Young Award winner, has drawn interest from multiple teams and recently had been rumored to be available in a trade. The Phillies entered Tuesday's contest mired in an eight-game losing streak.
The Boston Red Sox were rumored to be the primary front-runner to acquire the 34-year-old Lee, although the Atlanta Braves, Los Angeles Dodgers, Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Cardinals also reportedly are interested in adding a starting pitcher.
Any trade talks involving Lee are likely to be complicated by his contract situation. The left-hander signed a five-year, $120 million contract in December 2010 that pays him $25 million in each of the 2013 through 2015 seasons. The deal includes a $27.5 million club option for 2016 and a $12.5 million buyout.
The Red Sox had been actively exploring trading for Lee, a baseball source said earlier in the week, but were concerned about his age, the money owed to him and the prospects that it would take to pry him away.On another Phillies trade front, third baseman Michael Young has told Amaro that at this point he will only waive his no-trade clause to return to the Texas Rangers, sources told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.
Young spent the first 13 years of his career in Texas before being traded to Philadelphia in December.
However, sources said that Young will consider other teams if there is no chance that he can go back to the Rangers. Young's second choice appears to be the Red Sox, according to sources. The New York Yankees could also get into the mix if Texas and Boston pass on Young.
Information from ESPN's Jim Bowden, and ESPN.com's Jayson Stark and Jerry Crasnick was used in this report.
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 54 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 15 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 24 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 23 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Mick Jagger's girlfriend found dead in NYC 14 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 1 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
54 min ago
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos