Cain hits disabled list with bruised forearm
Right-hander Matt Cain has been placed on the 15-day disabled list a day after being hit in the pitching arm on a line drive from Pittsburgh's Gaby Sanchez.
Cain departed in the fourth inning of a 10-5 loss to the Pirates on Thursday. X-rays on Cain's bruised forearm were negative.
He was hit when Sanchez led off the fourth with a groundout. Trainer Dave Groeschner and manager Bruce Bochy hustled out to check on the pitcher, who walked off the mound on his own moments later.
Cain allowed three runs and seven hits in 3 1-3 innings. With the Giants out of the playoff race, there will be no reason to rush Cain, who is 8-8 with a 4.43 ERA this season in 26 starts over 156 1/3 innings.
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 12 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 7 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 32 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 17 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
12 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos