Twins' Mauer will remain on concussion list
All-Star catcher Joe Mauer is not going to be activated from the seven-day concussion list when the Minnesota Twins begin a homestand next week.
"The doctors advised him to lay low and rest right now," Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said Saturday. "That's the best thing for him. He'll come in Tuesday, and we'll go from there."
It was originally thought Mauer would report to Target Field and possibly begin an exercise program on Saturday, but now it is being pushed back until at least Tuesday, the day he is eligible to come off the concussion disabled list.
Mauer was placed on the concussion list earlier this week after he became dizzy during his pregame routine. The Twins sent him back to Minnesota from Detroit, and the 2009 AL MVP visited a specialist at the Mayo Clinic on Friday.
Antony said doctors didn't see anything unusual in Mauer's test results.
"They just felt it would be best for him to stay at home and take it easy," Antony said. "If he takes a few days off, it also will reduce the odds of him having symptoms when he does resume exercising."
Antony said the team has no problem with Mauer seeking treatment at the Mayo Clinic.
"Joe is really comfortable with the Mayo Clinic because he has some familiarity there," he said. "Our only request is they stay in touch with our doctors so everyone is on the same page. We have one of the greatest medical centers in the world in Minnesota, so why not do that?"
Mauer, a six-time All-Star, is hitting .324 with 11 homers and 47 RBIs for Minnesota, which entered the weekend 17.5 games out of first place in the AL Central.
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino 54 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 16 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 26 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 33 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos