Struggling Hellickson demoted for extra rest
The Tampa Bay Rays have optioned Jeremy Hellickson to Class A Charlotte to allow the right-hander some extra rest before the September stretch run.
The team announced the move before Tuesday night's game against the Los Angeles Angels.
Hellickson, whom Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon says is healthy, is not expected to pitch in the minors and should rejoin the team early next month.
Hellickson (10-8) allowed five runs in just 2 2-3 innings -- his shortest start since June 2012 -- in Monday's 11-1 loss at Kansas City. The 2011 AL rookie of the year fell to 0-5 in his last six outings, making it through five innings only once in that span.
The Rays also recalled left-handed reliever Jeff Beliveau from Triple-A Durham.
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated 46 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
35 min ago
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos