Braves call up Garcia as possible spot starter
The Braves have purchased the contract of veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia from Triple-A Gwinnett.
ATLANTA -- The Braves have purchased the contract of veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia from Triple-A Gwinnett.
The 36-year-old Garcia is expected to pitch out of the bullpen. Manager Fredi Gonzalez says Garcia also could be used as a spot starter in the final month of the regular season.
Garcia is 155-106 in 16 major league seasons with Seattle, the White Sox, Philadelphia, Detroit, the Yankees and Baltimore. He was 3-5 with a 5.77 ERA in 11 games, including 10 starts, with Baltimore this season.
The Braves acquired Garcia from the Orioles on Aug. 23 for cash considerations.
Garcia has pitched in relief in only 16 games in his career, but he said Sunday "I don't have any problem with that." He says he is excited to be joining a first-place team.
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 52 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 23 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos