Kemp's rehab shut down by hamstring injury
Matt Kemp injured his right hamstring while working out in Arizona, and his rehabilitation has been shut down indefinitely, the Los Angeles Dodgers said Friday.
Kemp was working out at the team's minor league facility in Glendale, Ariz. He was coming off a minor league rehab assignment in which he went 0-for-18 with seven strikeouts in Class A games. With just 23 games left in the Dodgers' season, Kemp's chances of returning appear slim.
"We've got to move on, we've got to continue to play," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told the "The Max & Marcellus Show" on ESPN LA 710. "We hope he gets better. In the meantime, they're not going to stop the season for us or give us a bye. We have to keep going with who we have."
Kemp, who came into the season off left shoulder surgery, is hitting .263 with a career-low .700 OPS. He hasn't played for the Dodgers since July 21, and has been on the disabled list three times this season with hamstring, shoulder and ankle issues.
With Kemp out, the Dodgers shifted Andre Ethier to center field and have used rookie Yasiel Puig in right. The Dodgers have been happy with Ethier's defense in center as well as with his .367 on-base percentage. Puig has been among their most effective hitters, batting .350 with a .971 OPS.
Kemp, 28, signed an eight-year, $160 million contract in November 2011. He was the 2011 National League MVP runner-up to Ryan Braun, but he has been injury-prone since hamstring issues started cropping up in May 2012.
"He's had a rough go to say the least," Colletti said.
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 17 min ago
- 6 dead, 60+ hurt in NYC gas explosion 25 min ago
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images 4 min ago
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- High winds cause power outages in Wilmington
- Residents forced to vacate East Oak Lane condo 38 min ago
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Crews investigate hazmat situation at Philadelphia hotel
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW...
17 min ago
- 6 dead, 60+ hurt in NYC gas explosion
25 min ago
- Residents forced to vacate East Oak Lane...
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos