Rangers' Washington says Yu pitched in pain
Rangers manager Ron Washington confirmed Tuesday what ace Yu Darvish had eluded to before his final two starts of the season -- the pitcher was dealing with a physical issue late in the season.
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Rangers manager Ron Washington confirmed Tuesday what ace Yu Darvish had alluded to before his final two starts of the season -- that the pitcher was dealing with a physical issue late in the season.
Washington didn't divulge any more information.
"I don't think I can get into that," Washington said. "I'll let y'all talk to people above me and the medical staff and let them get into that.
"I can say this: He never said that it was an issue. Yes, he had something, but he never said it was an issue."
Darvish was unable to get out of the sixth inning in his last three starts. He threw only 84 pitches in a start Sunday against the Los Angeles Angels as Washington gave him a quick hook with the tying run on base and Josh Hamilton coming up.
Darvish threw his fastball only 34 percent of the time against the Angels. His fastball velocity was down to an average of 91.7 mph in his last two starts, according to FanGraphs.
Todd Wills covers the Texas Rangers for ESPNDallas.com.
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos