Dodgers leave RP League off NLDS roster
The Los Angeles Dodgers left veteran reliever Brandon League off their 25-man roster for the NLDS series against the Atlanta Braves that begins Thursday night.
As expected, outfielder Andre Ethier made the roster despite an injured left shin, though Ethier he said Wednesday he will be used strictly as a pinch hitter for at least the first two games of the series. Game 3 is Sunday in Los Angeles.
League signed a three-year, $22.5 million contract in October and began the season as the Dodgers' closer. He lost the job to Kenley Jansen in June and had his worst season in six years. League, 30, was 6-4 with a 5.30 ERA and 1.54 WHIP and, by the end of the season, was pitching only in mop-up situations.
The Dodgers also left utility man Jerry Hairston Jr., a 12-year veteran, off the roster. Hairston, 37, struggled with hip and groin injuries the past two seasons and hit .211 this year, including .067 in his final 23 games.
Hairston later tweeted, "During my career I've always put the team first. Most important thing is the Dodgers winning this series. We can discuss me later."
Both League and Hairston are eligible to re-join the Dodgers if they advance to the NLCS.
The Dodgers, who are carrying 11 pitchers and 14 position players, kept Chris Capuano as a third left-handed reliever as well as youngsters Scott Van Slyke and Dee Gordon. With Ethier limited and Matt Kemp out for the postseason, Van Slyke and Gordon have taken fly balls in center field in case of an emergency, but Skip Schumaker figures to get the bulk of the playing time there.
Gordon, one of the fastest players in the league, could be a weapon as a pinch runner.
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos