Price: Rays history suggests I'll get traded
Rays ace David Price thinks he'll be traded due to salary constraints.
"If you go with what's been done in the past, I guess you're going to have to think you're going to get traded," Price told Tampa writers during a conference call Wednesday night.
Price is eligible for arbitration heading into next season and could see his salary jump from $10 million to $13 million, leading to speculation that he could be traded. Carl Crawford and James Shields are among veterans who were recently priced out of Tampa.
"It's not disappointing or anything like that," Price said. "This is a place I love to be. My teammates and everyone in the organization knows that. It's part of baseball, and it's something I've seen go on, it's kind of something I somewhat prepared myself for."
Price and the Rays were eliminated by the Boston Red Sox in four games in their AL Division Series. Price was roughed up in a Game 2 loss and was embroiled in controversy over Twitter comments critical of David Ortiz.
But his time in Tampa has been productive. In six years, the left-hander has been a three-time All-Star, won the Cy Young Award in 2012 and was second in 2010.
"It's never an inviting thought to think David is not going to be with you. But we're faced with a lot of this stuff on an annual basis," manager Joe Maddon told The Tampa Tribune. "It's part of who we are here. We understand that. We're hoping that it will turn out that he'll be able to be here, but I don't know how that is all going to play out. Players like David Price, you always want to have on your side."
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 36 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
27 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos