Machado has surgery, likely to miss start of '14
Baltimore Orioles third baseman Manny Machado underwent surgery Monday to repair a torn ligament in his left knee and is likely to miss the start of the 2014 season.
Machado's operation was performed in California by Dr. Neal ElAttrache, according to the team. Recovery time is estimated to be about six months.
"Manny has some work to do on the rehabilitation part of his recovery, which I'm sure he will do with enthusiasm," Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said, according to the Baltimore Sun. "But Manny and the doctors will tell us when he's ready to play. It's not going to be driven by the schedule. It's going to be driven by how well he comes along.
"I'm sure Manny will do everything he can to be ready [for Opening Day], but it's going to be determined by how it comes along."
If he returns to the field in exactly six months, Machado would be eligible to return April 15 -- more than two weeks into the Orioles' 2014 season. Baltimore will face the Boston Red Sox on March 31 on Opening Day.
The 75-minute surgery Monday included an arthroscopy and open reconstruction of the medial patellar femoral ligament. A hamstring tendon was used to graft a replacement for the ruptured ligament.
The 21-year-old Machado played in every game this season before the injury, which occurred on Sept. 23 when he stepped awkwardly on first base in a game at Tampa Bay.
A first-time All-Star this season, Machado hit .283 with 14 homers, 71 RBIs and 51 doubles.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 40 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 11 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos