Rays pitcher Guerrieri gets 50-game ban
Tampa Bay pitcher Taylor Guerrieri has been suspended for the first 50 games of next season following a second positive test for a drug of abuse under baseball's minor league drug program.
NEW YORK -- Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Taylor Guerrieri has been suspended for the first 50 games of next season following a second positive test for a drug of abuse under baseball's minor league drug program.
The right-hander, who turns 21 on Dec. 1, was selected by the Rays with the 24th overall pick in the 2011 amateur draft and signed for a $1.6 million bonus. He was 6-2 with a 2.01 ERA in 14 starts this year for Bowling Green of the Class A Midwest League.
There have been 56 suspensions this year under the minor league drug program and 15 under the major league program.
The commissioner's office announced Guerrieri's suspension on Friday.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos