Source: A-Rod appeal to restart next month
The hearing for New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez is expected to resume sometime in November, a source with knowledge of the timetable told ESPNNewYork.com on Friday.
Major League Baseball has finished its side of the case, according to a source.
Friday marked the eighth day of Rodriguez's hearing. He's currently appealing a 211-game suspension for violating MLB's drug policy.
Rodriguez's side will pick up its defense when the hearing resumes. There is no exact timetable for how long his defense can extend, but it is likely to last anywhere from five days to the eight days it took MLB for its side of the case.
Rodriguez left MLB's Park Avenue offices at 5:45 p.m. ET with his attorney Joe Tacopina in a black SUV after signing autographs for his supporters for a few minutes.
Arbitrator Fredric Horowitz is expected to render his decision within 25 days of the final hearing. This means Rodriguez, MLB and the Yankees won't know the verdict until late November or December.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that in his offseason planning, he is currently working under the assumption that Rodriguez is an eligible player. However, if the suspension is upheld, the Yankees would not have to pay Rodriguez's $25 million salary for 2013.
This would help the Yankees reach their goal of reducing their payroll to less than $189 million to take advantage of the luxury tax savings. Sources told ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand that the Yankees are devising a plan to possibly spend a total of $300 million or more this offseason, with their top two targets being Robinson Cano and Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, while falling below the $189 million salary mark for 2014.
If the Yankees know Rodriguez's salary will not count against their 2013 payroll before the winter meetings in early December, it will give them more flexibility on the free-agent and trade markets.
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 38 min ago
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- 2-alarm fire at Holmesburg condo complex 9 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire 29 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- Milder this afternoon, snow likely Monday
43 min ago
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
8 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
38 min ago
- New video released in apparent Pa. road...
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos