Beltran leaves with injury after hitting wall
St. Louis Cardinals right fielder Carlos Beltran waited 16 years to play in a World Series game but lasted just two innings once he finally got there, departing with a right rib contusion early in Game 1 on Wednesday night at Fenway Park.
BOSTON -- St. Louis Cardinals right fielder Carlos Beltran waited 16 years to play in a World Series game but lasted just two innings once he finally got there, departing with a right rib contusion early in Game 1 on Wednesday night at Fenway Park.
In the bottom of the second inning against the Boston Red Sox, Beltran slammed into the right-field wall while making a spectacular catch to rob David Ortiz of what would have been a grand slam. The eight-time All-Star finished the frame but was rubbing his right side and disappeared down the tunnel to the clubhouse with a trainer between innings.
He was taken to the hospital, and Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said following the Red Sox's 8-1 win that X-rays were negative and that Beltran is day to day.
The Red Sox had the bases loaded and a 4-0 lead when Ortiz stepped to the plate, due in large part to a slew of defensive miscues by the Cardinals. But Beltran provided the one highlight for St. Louis to that point by drifting back on Ortiz's shot and seemingly nonchalantly reaching up to snag the ball before it settled into the bullpen, simultaneously smacking into the short wall.
Beltran, an eight-time All-Star, batted .296 with 24 homers and 84 RBIs in the regular season.
He entered hitting .337 with 16 homers and 37 RBIs in 45 career postseason games. He also had scored 44 runs, stolen 11 bases and compiled a .724 slugging percentage.
Beltran had 12 RBIs in the NL playoffs this year. He struck out in his only at-bat Wednesday night.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 59 min ago
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom 7 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 54 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship 44 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
44 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
39 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos