Rays pick up '14 options on Zobrist, Escobar
The Tampa Bay Rays have exercised options on All-Star Ben Zobrist and shortstop Yunel Escobar.
Zobrist hit .275 while starting games at four different positions and leading AL second basemen in fielding percentage this year. He will earn $7 million in 2014, and the Rays hold a $7.5 million option on him for 2015 with a $500,000 buyout.
Escobar will get $5 million after playing in a career-high 153 games and leading major league shortstops with a .989 fielding percentage this season. There's also a $5 million option on Escobar for 2015.
The Rays must decide on a $6.5 million option on outfielder David DeJesus by midnight Sunday. The team has until Monday night to decide on a $2 million option on pitcher Juan Oviedo.
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting 20 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos