Ortiz headlines Silver Slugger award winners
World Series MVP David Ortiz has won his sixth Silver Slugger award as the top designated hitter in voting by major league managers and coaches.
NEW YORK -- World Series MVP David Ortiz has won his sixth Silver Slugger award as the top designated hitter in voting by major league managers and coaches.
Silver Slugger awards are given to the top offensive player at each position in the American and National Leagues. They were handed out Wednesday night on the MLB Network.
Nine of the 18 recipients were first-time winners with major league home run and RBI leader Chris Davis of Baltimore taking home a bat-shaped trophy as the best AL first baseman.
Pittsburgh, Detroit and St. Louis each had two winners.
The Tigers' Torii Hunter (outfield) got his second.
Several players earned bonuses or salary escalators for winning the award:
Cabrera, Hunter and Ortiz each get $100,000 bonuses, while Hardy receives $75,000, and Bruce, Cuddyer, Davis and Molina earn $50,000 apiece. Jones' base salary next year escalates by $200,000 to $10.2 million and Cuddyer's rises by $500,000 to $11.5 million.
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
46 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
33 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos