Hurting Bulls look to Augustin to provide depth
The Chicago Bulls on Friday announced the signing of veteran point guard D.J. Augustin. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Bulls forward Taj Gibson said Thursday that he was a fan of the move.
"That's great," he said. "More bodies for us. The more bodies we can get, it will help us because right now we feel we have a great shot, it's just that we're missing two of our veteran warriors that we normally go to battle with."
The Bulls (8-12) have been searching for answers at backup point guard since Derrick Rose went down with another season-ending knee injury Nov. 22 in Portland. Kirk Hinrich has struggled to find his shot in place of Rose, while second-year guard Marquis Teague was sent to the D-League last week only to be recalled after veteran Mike James sprained his knee.
"He's a phenomenal, phenomenal guard," Gibson said of Augustin. "I've been going against him since I was at USC. We beat [Augustin's Texas Longhorns] in the second round [of the NCAA tournament]. He played with Kevin Durant. He's a great point guard, a great scoring point guard at that."
The Bulls have two empty spots on their roster, so they wouldn't have to make another move when they bring in Augustin, but they might decide to send Teague back to the D-League to find his confidence.
In the meantime, Gibson is hopeful Augustin can bring a jolt of excitement to the Bulls.
"He's a veteran guard," Gibson said. "He's a good scorer; he just needs the opportunity. I think it would be a good look for our team because right now we're trying to keep guys healthy. Kirk has been playing a lot of minutes. He's in foul trouble. He's digging in there, banging with the bigs; I'm just praying that he doesn't get whacked the way he did last year. But so far it's been OK."
Augustin has averaged 9.4 points and 3.9 assists per game over his six-year NBA career.
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 29 min ago
- 2 dead, others missing in NYC building explosion 26 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with meningitis-causing infection 13 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
27 min ago
- Montco student diagnosed with...
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos