Dirk passes English for 13th on scoring list
For the fourth time this season, Dirk Nowitzki moved up a spot on the NBA's all-time scoring list.
HOUSTON -- For the fourth time this season, Dirk Nowitzki moved up a spot on the NBA's all-time scoring list.
Nowitzki passed Alex English for 13th place with a turnaround jumper early in the third quarter of the Dallas Mavericks' 111-104 win over the Houston Rockets. English finished his 15-year career with 25,613 points.
"Another great milestone," said Nowitzki, who has 25,631 career points after scoring a game-high 31 on 11-of-18 shooting in the win. "Alex was an unbelievable scorer in this league in the '80s in Denver. Obviously wouldn't have thought that 15 or 16 years ago when I came here I was going to be passing him one day. Fun little accomplishment, but I think the win is more important for me tonight."
Nowitzki has been Dallas' all-time leading scorer since he passed Rolando Blackman during the 2007-08 season, but he now has scored more NBA points than any player who has ever worn the Mavs uniform.
English scored 763 points for the Mavs in 1990-91, the final year of a career he spent primarily with the Denver Nuggets. Nowitzki has also passed Jerry West, Reggie Miller and Kevin Garnett on the all-time scoring list. Boston Celtics great John Havlicek, who ranks 12th in NBA history with 26,395 points, is the next player Nowitzki can pass.
"He's the great Dirk Nowitzki," Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. "He's one of the great players in the history of the game. He's passing these guys left and right. He's going to pass Havlicek [soon]. The guy has changed his game with the way he plays. The game is not the same. A 7-foot-1 guy comes in the league and does what he does, it changed the power forward position forever."
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected 40 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 17 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos