NBA plans China center featuring courts, eatery
The NBA and a Chinese partner say they plan to open a basketball center near Beijing.BEIJING -- The NBA and a Chinese partner say they plan to open a basketball center near Beijing.
The partners say the facility in Tianjin, a port city east of the Chinese capital, will include NBA-style basketball courts, a fitness center, a restaurant and other features, according to NBA China and the Yatai Lanhai Investment Group.
Basketball in China is hugely popular and the NBA has made faster progress in developing a fan base and business opportunities than other American sports such as baseball, football and ice hockey.
The 120,000-square foot NBA Center is to become part of a mixed-use development by Yatai Lanhai with housing for 150,000.
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos