Depleted Wolves, Josh Howard agree to terms
The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to terms with free-agent forward Josh Howard.
Howard will add depth to the injury-ravaged Wolves, who lost Chase Budinger to injury earlier this week. Forward Kevin Love, guards Ricky Rubio, J.J. Barea and Brandon Roy also are sidelined with injuries.
Howard arrived in the Twin Cities on Thursday afternoon and the plan was for him to be in uniform against Golden State on Friday night.
"We need somebody at that spot," coach Rick Adelman said. "We looked around and he seemed to be a good candidate."
The 32-year-old Howard worked out for the Wolves on Monday in Dallas. Howard averaged 8.7 points and 3.7 rebounds in 43 games with Utah last season. He also has played for Washington and Dallas, which drafted him 29th overall in 2003. The Timberwolves passed on Howard, who was a star at Wake Forest, in favor of high schooler Ndudi Ebi, who was a bust.
Howard went on to make an All-Star team in his seven seasons with the Mavericks, emerging as a potent scorer and athletic defender. He has dealt with numerous injuries in recent seasons, but the Wolves are hoping he can take some of the minutes from Andrei Kirilenko, who has played 44 minutes in each of the past two games.
"He's a versatile player. He's long. He's a good defender," Adelman said. "He should fit in and help us."
Howard, a nine-year veteran, will receive the veteran's minimum, according to league sources.
Howard has career averages of 14.5 points and 5.8 rebounds.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 47 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 3 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
47 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos