Depleted Wolves, Josh Howard agree to terms
The Minnesota Timberwolves have agreed to terms with free-agent forward Josh Howard.
Howard will add depth to the injury-ravaged Wolves, who lost Chase Budinger to injury earlier this week. Forward Kevin Love, guards Ricky Rubio, J.J. Barea and Brandon Roy also are sidelined with injuries.
Howard arrived in the Twin Cities on Thursday afternoon and the plan was for him to be in uniform against Golden State on Friday night.
"We need somebody at that spot," coach Rick Adelman said. "We looked around and he seemed to be a good candidate."
The 32-year-old Howard worked out for the Wolves on Monday in Dallas. Howard averaged 8.7 points and 3.7 rebounds in 43 games with Utah last season. He also has played for Washington and Dallas, which drafted him 29th overall in 2003. The Timberwolves passed on Howard, who was a star at Wake Forest, in favor of high schooler Ndudi Ebi, who was a bust.
Howard went on to make an All-Star team in his seven seasons with the Mavericks, emerging as a potent scorer and athletic defender. He has dealt with numerous injuries in recent seasons, but the Wolves are hoping he can take some of the minutes from Andrei Kirilenko, who has played 44 minutes in each of the past two games.
"He's a versatile player. He's long. He's a good defender," Adelman said. "He should fit in and help us."
Howard, a nine-year veteran, will receive the veteran's minimum, according to league sources.
Howard has career averages of 14.5 points and 5.8 rebounds.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 37 min ago
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club 37 min ago
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary 37 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
37 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street
37 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila....
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos