Mavs owner Cuban snipes at fans, not Lakers
The media went fishing for more trash talk about the Los Angeles Lakers, but Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban didn't bite before Saturday night's game.
He did, however, return a little fire at the Lakers' fan base.
"I've said enough about the Lakers," Cuban said with a grin while working out on an elliptical machine. "Let's just say that when you say something bad about the Lakers, you get a ton of Twitter threats, so it's just not worth it. There is just more Twitter courage in Southern California than probably any other part of the world."
Later, Cuban added: "I'm not suggesting it's all Lakers fans. It's just most."
Cuban, whose verbal sparring partners over the years have included former Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal and coach Phil Jackson, has incited the Lakers-loving masses a few times this year.
At a news conference to introduce the Mavs' newcomers in September, Cuban discounted the Lakers' high-profile acquisitions of Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, pointing out that L.A. failed to win a title after adding Karl Malone and Gary Payton before the 2003-04 season. Cuban noted that it takes "great chemistry" to win a championship and questioned whether all the Lakers "wanted to be there."
Cuban was much more succinct with his thoughts on the Lakers before the Mavs' season-opening win at the Staples Center: "I don't know, I don't care, I just hope they suck. You know, like any other team."
When the Lakers fired coach Mike Brown five games into the season, Cuban said he hoped "it was a huge mistake and they continue to make them."
With the Lakers in town, Cuban felt no need to elaborate on his thoughts about the Western Conference's glitziest team.
"Cut and paste what I said before," Cuban said. "It hasn't changed."
The Lakers, however, crushed Cuban's Mavericks on Saturday night, rolling to a 115-89 victory.
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 15 min ago
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Attack in Center City caught on camera 36 min ago
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam 5 min ago
- Burglary suspect nabbed by quick-thinking neighbor 45 min ago
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth 35 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
11 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
15 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos