Kidd misses game vs. Nets due to back spasms
New York Knicks point guard Jason Kidd did not play in Monday's showdown with the Brooklyn Nets due to lower back spasms.
The severity of Kidd's injury is unclear, but he did not travel with the team to the Barclays Center.
"I don't know much yet," Knicks coach Mike Woodson said after the game. "He's back home and we'll evaluate him tomorrow, and we'll go from there."
Ronnie Brewer started in Kidd's place at shooting guard but left in the second half with a dislocated left fourth finger. X-rays were negative.
Heading into the postgame locker room, Brewer told ESPN, "I'm fine."
Kidd, 39, had played in the Knicks' first 12 games and established himself as a vital piece for New York.
An 18-year-veteran, Kidd had started at shooting guard for the Knicks in their first 12 contests, averaging 8.0 points, 2.1 steals, 3.4 assists and 3.3 rebounds in 26 minutes per game.
Kidd also has been a calming influence on New York's backcourt; the Knicks entered Monday's contest averaging an NBA-low 11.2 turnovers per game while leading the league in offensive efficiency, which is a measure of points scored per 100 possessions.
"He's a big part of what we do," Woodson said following the loss. "He's one of those veteran guys that can settle things down and help run the team if things are not going great and smoothly."
Ian Begley is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com. Information from ESPNNewYork.com contributor Jared Zwerling was used in this report.
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 58 min ago
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site 23 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 51 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Boston Marathon begins under tight security 8 min ago
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 32 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos