Sources: Stoudemire aims for Christmas return
New York Knicks forward Amar'e Stoudemire underwent a surgical procedure to repair his injured left knee on Wednesday and will be sidelined approximately six to eight weeks, the team announced.
On Dec. 25, the Knicks have a highly anticipated showdown on the road against the Los Angeles Lakers. Stoudemire targeting Christmas as his return date was reported earlier by the New York Post.
Stoudemire had left knee debridement during the offseason and hasn't played since. He initially was expected to miss six to eight weeks.
During Friday morning's shootaround at the Knicks' training facility, Stoudemire did some running and shooting drills, as well as lateral drills with resistance bands to build strength in his legs. It was the first time the media had seen him working out since his surgical procedure.
"We're going to accept Amar'e back when he's ready to go, and when that is, I don't know. I really don't," Knicks coach Mike Woodson said after shootaround. "That's a great sign he's out running and he's shooting a little bit. We're just going to gauge it as he goes along, and doctors and Amar'e will tell us when he's ready."
The Knicks are 10-4 in Stoudemire's absence. To fit in with the team, he is open to coming off the bench when he returns, two sources toldESPNNewYork.com this week.
The Knicks also are missing guard Jason Kidd, who has been dealing with a back injury. He will miss the Washington game Friday and is now looking to return next week.
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby 24 min ago
- Philadelphia police officer's stolen SUV found 42 min ago
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos