Serbian Cup final stopped due to fan violence
Serbia's basketball cup final was completed in an empty arena Monday after fighting between rival fans a day earlier forced the game to be stopped.KRAGUJEVAC, Serbia -- Serbia's basketball cup final was completed in an empty arena Monday after fighting between rival fans a day earlier forced the game to be stopped.
Red Star beat Partizan 78-69 a day after fans turned violent in the third quarter. They stormed the court and hurled smoke bombs. The score was 43-43.
It was decided the game would resume Monday without fans.
Violence at sports events is frequent in Serbia despite new laws that include prison terms for those involved and heavy fines for the clubs.
Similar violence marred the Greek Cup final in Athens on Sunday. The game was halted for an hour before Panathinaikos defeated archrival Olympiakos 81-78.
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 2 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
2 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos