Suns' O'Neal sitting out for daughter's surgery
Jermaine O'Neal has told his Phoenix Suns teammates that he will miss the next three games to be with his daughter who is having open-heart surgery Wednesday, azcentral.com reported on Tuesday.
Asjia O'Neal, 13, will undergo a procedure to repair a leaky heart valve in Boston, according to the website. Jermaine O'Neal's three-game absence could become more depending on his daughter's condition.
Jermaine O'Neal is averaging 7.8 points and 5.3 rebounds per game in his 17th season in the league and first with the Suns.
O'Neal is not sure if he will return for another season, with the website reporting that his son Jermaine Jr. actually has the final call on his father's career. O'Neal almost walked away this year after an aunt died in November.
"It was close," O'Neal said, according to azcentral.com. "I wasn't playing this year for money. I just wanted to come in, enjoy basketball and try to help these young guys. I felt selfish, like, 'What am I doing? I have the money I have, the businesses I have, the family. Why am I still running around trying to play basketball?' "
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos