Gay: New Griz owner didn't let me prove worth
Although he admits he "needed a change," Rudy Gay told Yahoo! Sports that he wished the Memphis Grizzlies' new ownership had given him a chance to show he was worth a big-money contract before it traded him to the Toronto Raptors.
Although he admits he "needed a change," Rudy Gay told Yahoo! Sports that he wished the Memphis Grizzlies' new ownership had given him a chance to show he was worth a big-money extension before it traded him to the Toronto Raptors.
"You have to give me a chance to see if I'm worth that," Gay told Yahoo! Sports.
The Grizzlies traded Gay to Toronto in a three-team, six-player trade in late January. New owner Robert Pera, who took over the team on Nov. 5, has deflected criticism of trading Gay, the team's leading scorer at the time of the deal, saying he thinks the Grizzlies are still set up for a deep playoff run.
Gay told Yahoo! that he understands the new owners "want it their own way" ... "but it's a player's league."
Gay has averaged 19.8 points in his 15 games with the Raptors, although he has struggled with his shooting, which stands at 39 percent with Toronto.
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos