Howard vows payback for play of Warriors' Lee
David Lee elbowed Dwight Howard in the mouth as the Warriors dominated the Lakers in the first half Tuesday night. Howard vowed retaliation after the game, saying he would "remember" the game and his counterpart's "shot."
"I will take care of it later," Howard said.
Howard was limited to 11 points on 4-for-8 shooting in the Lakers' 109-103 loss to a Stephen Curry-inspired Warriors team.
But it was Lee who stirred Howard's ire. During the second quarter, Howard was whistled for a technical foul on a play in which his lip was cut when he was smacked in the face by a Lee elbow, shortly before the Lakers entered the locker room with a 63-40 halftime deficit.
"He got away with a shot," Howard said. "I will remember this game. I will remember that shot. He said he wasn't trying to do it. You can look at the play and see it for yourself. I will take care of it later."
Howard, who required three stitches for the cut, will have a bit of a wait. The Lakers host the Warriors two weeks from Friday, on April 12, in the third-to-last regular-season game for both teams.
Curry scored 25 points and had 10 assists two nights after sustaining a sprained ankle. The Lakers also struggled to contain Lee, who added 23 points and 12 rebounds as the Warriors improved to 41-31.
With the loss, the Lakers dropped to 36-35 and hold only a one-game lead over the Jazz for the eighth and final playoff spot.
"We are the better basketball team," Warriors coach Mark Jackson said. "They are in the rearview mirror and I have not checked it and I will not."
The frustration for the Lakers was apparent to end the first half. First, Metta World Peace jawed at Lee, then awkwardly patted the All-Star forward's head once officials intervened.
A few minutes later, Howard picked up the technical foul while exchanging words with Lee and an official after he was called for a foul on Lee's layup.
"We made a statement in that first half," Jackson said.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash 34 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 29 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting 59 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
24 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos