Lakers to be without Nash against Grizzlies
Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash will miss his second consecutive game Friday against the Memphis Grizzlies because of a hip injury.
"He was hoping to play, but he's just not quite ready," Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said after the Lakers shootaround Friday morning. "He's shooting for Sunday [against the Los Angeles Clippers], but it'll be a game-time decision."
Steve Blake will again start at point guard. Blake is averaging 13 points and 3.5 rebounds in his past two games while shooting 52.9 percent from the field and 53.3 percent from 3-point range.
"I've just been trying to watch [Nash] play and learn from him from the very beginning," Blake said Thursday. "Just seeing how he executes plays in pick-and-rolls. When he was hurt I tried to do my part, when I was hurt he was doing his thing. We've kind of been there at the point guard spot helping each other the whole way."
Los Angeles leads Utah by one half-game for the eighth and final playoff spot in the West with seven games remaining.
Nash experienced discomfort in his right hip after the Lakers' loss to the Golden State Warriors on March 25, and he since has been dealing with the strained hip and a strained right hamstring.
Nash was able to play in the Lakers' game against Minnesota on March 27, but he then missed most of the second half against Milwaukee, played just two minutes against Sacramento and sat out the entire game against Dallas.
Information from ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin was used in this report.
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino 42 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 4 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 14 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 21 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos