Pistons' Frank admits future as coach up in air
Detroit Pistons coach Lawrence Frank says he knows his future with the team is up in the air after a second straight tough season.MINNEAPOLIS -- It's been a trying season for Lawrence Frank, both on and off the court.
He missed six games to help his wife through an illness, and the young Pistons have had trouble getting any traction in his second season on the sideline.
Frank knows that when another disappointing season in Detroit comes to a close, general manager Joe Dumars will have a decision to make on Frank's job.
Rumors have already started to swirl about Frank's future, and he understands. The Pistons entered the game against Minnesota on Saturday night with a 25-51 record, good for 12th in the Eastern Conference. Sure, the Pistons are rebuilding. But Frank knows what can happen to coaches in a rebuilding process.
"When you have a record like we have, it comes with the territory," Frank said before the game. "That's the nature of this business. It's results oriented."
Frank is in his second season with the Pistons and went 25-41 last year. He said he has not had any discussions with Dumars about his job status.
"I haven't asked because I understand," Frank said. "I've been in this for a little bit. You just do the best you can and focus on what you can control."
With a promising young frontcourt including Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond and loads of cap space this summer, the Pistons could look to make big changes both on the court and with the coaching staff.
Frank is in his ninth season as a head coach in the league. He got his start with the New Jersey Nets in 2003-04 at age 33 and spent seven seasons coaching the Nets.
The way the Pistons are finishing this season isn't exactly helping Frank's cause. Detroit had lost 17 of its past 20 games heading into the game against Minnesota.
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 10 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 56 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
10 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos