Knicks' Smith misses practice; Martin ill, too
J.R. Smith, who played 25 minutes in Game 3 on Saturday night despite a high fever, sat out of the Knicks' morning practice Sunday. Kenyon Martin also missed practice.
INDIANAPOLIS -- J.R. Smith, who played 25 minutes in Game 3 on Saturday night despite a high fever, sat out of the Knicks' morning practice Sunday.
Kenyon Martin also missed practice.
"Kenyon's kind of coming down with [illness], too," Knicks coach Mike Woodson said, "so we've got to be careful that this thing doesn't spread, and other guys start dropping."
Smith scored nine points on 4-for-12 shooting during the Knicks' 82-71 loss to the Indiana Pacers on Saturday. He has struggled from the field, making 11-of-52 shots (21.2 percent) in three games this series after an 8-for-27 performance (29.6 percent) in the final two games of New York's first-round matchup with the Boston Celtics.
"We've just got to hope that over these next two days he can get some energy back because we desperately need his offense," said Woodson, whose Knicks are up against a Pacers team that posted the NBA's best defense during the regular season in terms of points allowed per possession.
Woodson said that if Smith, who won the NBA's Sixth Man Award by averaging 18.1 points per game, doesn't return to form, his strategy to find points will have to become "mixing and matching" some other players into the rotation.
"At this stage of the game, most playoff teams are pretty set, and we're jumping around a little bit now," Woodson said.
The Knicks trail 2-1 in this second-round series. Game 4 is Tuesday night in Indianapolis.
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos