Report: Bobcats out to become 'Hornets' again
The Bobcats have started the process of changing their name back to the Charlotte Hornets, according to a report by CBSSports.com.The Bobcats have started the process of changing their name back to the Charlotte Hornets, according to a report by CBSSports.com.
According to the report, a source told CBS Sports the Bobcats hope to acquire digital assets to allow a return to their old nickname.
While there is no timetable for the switch, commissioner-in-waiting Adam Silver told Bobcats season ticket holders in April that any change to the Hornets would take 18 months.
Bobcats owner Michael Jordan said in February the franchise was conducting research to assess how fans felt about reverting to the original nickname.
Charlotte's team was known as the Hornets from its 1988 inception through 2002 when the team moved to New Orleans. The New Orleans franchise recently changed its name to the Pelicans.
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 38 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 46 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
1 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos