Casey to return as Raptors coach next year
Raptors coach Dwane Casey will return next season, the team announced Wednesday.
TORONTO -- Dwane Casey will remain as the Toronto Raptors head coach, new general manager Masai Ujiri says.
There had been some question regarding Casey's future in Toronto after the hiring of Ujiri amid a front-office overhaul. Casey is in the final year of a contract extension signed after the 2011-12 season.
"I'm excited about moving forward and growing this team with coach Casey," Ujiri said in a release.
The Raptors went 34-48 this season and missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive year.
A Raptors front-office shakeup followed under new Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke. Longtime general manager Bryan Colangelo was relieved of his GM duties on May 21, and replaced with Ujiri 10 days later.
Executive vice president Ed Stefanski and scout Alvin Williams, one of the most popular players to ever suit up for Toronto, were also fired.
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 47 min ago
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury 59 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos