Sources: Cavs join Mavs in race for Bynum
The Cleveland Cavaliers have joined the Dallas Mavericks as a prime team to watch in the race to sign free-agent center Andrew Bynum.
Sources close to the process told ESPN.com that the Cavaliers are legitimate contenders to sign Bynum after his lost season in Philadelphia, especially if the former Los Angeles Lakers All-Star is willing to sign a one-year deal.
Bynum was scheduled to be in Cleveland on Monday so the Cavaliers could have a face-to-face sitdown with the 7-footer, according to sources close to the situation.
Initial indications are that the Cavaliers won't offer more than a one-year deal to Bynum to preserve all of their projected salary-cap space in the summer of 2014 and the expected free-agent pursuit of LeBron James. But Cleveland does still have roughly $15 million in available salary-cap space to use this summer and, sources say, they have legitimate interest in Bynum.
Sources also said Bynum has scheduled in-person meetings in both Atlanta and Dallas this week. The Cavs, Hawks and Mavs are the leading known suitors for Bynum's services.
The Mavericks are actively pursuing Bynum in the wake of Dwight Howard's decision to sign with the Houston Rockets, sources previously told ESPN.com. The Mavs, though, have launched what sources describe as an "exhaustive" evaluation process regarding Bynum's problematic knees, wanting to be sure that the 25-year-old's health can justify a long-term contract after he failed to log a single second of court time for the 76ers in 2012-13.
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 55 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 59 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 48 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos