Nets' Williams has sprained ankle, bone bruise
Brooklyn Nets point guard Deron Williams has a sprained right ankle and a bone bruise, a team spokesman said Wednesday.
Williams suffered the injuries while recently working out in Utah. He is currently in a walking boot, but is expected to be ready for the start of training camp, the spokesman said.
Nets training camp begins at Duke University on Oct. 1. Williams, 29, is coming off an injury-plagued 2012-13 season. He played in 78 games despite being bothered by ankle inflammation and weight problems for the majority of the season.
Williams struggled up until the All-Star break, when he received a third set of cortisone shots in both ankles. During that week, Williams also received platelet-rich plasma therapy treatment and did a three-day juice cleanse.
The week off did wonders for Williams, who returned to his elite form, averaging 22.9 points and 8.0 assists in the final 28 games of the season. The ankle inflammation began when Williams was playing in the Olympics for Team USA.
USA Basketball president Jerry Colangelo said Williams was out of shape when he suffered the injury initially. Last offseason, Williams said he took only four days off while preparing for the Olympics and then playing in them.
He vowed to take more time off this offseason. Williams, who is entering the second year of the five-year, $98 million contract he signed with the Nets in July 2012, frequently posted videos of his vigorous offseason workout regimens this summer via social media.
He also recently led the team in voluntary workouts out in Los Angeles. First-year coach Jason Kidd wants Williams to get back in the MVP conversation, and Williams appeared to be doing everything in his power training-wise to make that happen until his latest injury occurred.
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos