Vick has rib cartilage injury, McCoy has fractured rib
PHILADELPHIA - October 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said Monday that quarterback Michael Vick suffered a rib cartilage injury in Sunday's loss to the Washington Redskins, but sustained no broken bones.
Reid wouldn't rule out Vick for the 49ers' game, saying Vick is sore and will be evaluated each day.
He described Vick's injury as "up high," affecting the 2nd and 3rd rib.
He also revealed that running back LeSean McCoy suffered a rib fracture and will undergo further testing.
Reid said McCoy suffered his injury during the second quarter, but did not complain and kept playing.
"He's a tough kid," Reid said. He could not say what McCoy's status would be until testing was done.
On the rest of the injury front, Reid said the concussions suffered by WR Riley Cooper and CB Asante Samuel were found to be mild.
Vick was forced out in the first quarter with chest and rib injuries in his first start in front of the hometown crowd.
He was replaced by Kevin Kolb, who suffered a concussion in the season opener that allowed Vick to take the starting quarterback job.
Kolb struggled in his first meaningful action of the season, going 22 for 35 for 201 yards with a touchdown and interception.
If Vick can't play against the 49ers, Kevin Kolb gets another chance to prove he can be the No. 1 quarterback.
"I'm a competitor and I want to play," Kolb said. "I want to win. It's vital for our season and for our team right now to go out and win next week and I hope I get the opportunity. But we'll see what happens with Mike's injury and what the situation is and then we'll go from there."
Vick was sensational as a starter and showed flashes of the form that made him a three-time Pro Bowl QB during six seasons in Atlanta. He had 750 yards passing, six touchdowns and no interceptions, and had also run for 170 yards and one score in 10 quarters. For his efforts, Vick earned NFC offensive player of the month honors.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia eagles, michael vick, kevin kolb, andy reid, nfl
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware 4 min ago
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire 30 min ago
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled 32 min ago
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Dozens rescued from flooded San Antonio area
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila....
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos