Vick has rib cartilage injury, McCoy has fractured rib
PHILADELPHIA - October 4, 2010 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid said Monday that quarterback Michael Vick suffered a rib cartilage injury in Sunday's loss to the Washington Redskins, but sustained no broken bones.
Reid wouldn't rule out Vick for the 49ers' game, saying Vick is sore and will be evaluated each day.
He described Vick's injury as "up high," affecting the 2nd and 3rd rib.
He also revealed that running back LeSean McCoy suffered a rib fracture and will undergo further testing.
Reid said McCoy suffered his injury during the second quarter, but did not complain and kept playing.
"He's a tough kid," Reid said. He could not say what McCoy's status would be until testing was done.
On the rest of the injury front, Reid said the concussions suffered by WR Riley Cooper and CB Asante Samuel were found to be mild.
Vick was forced out in the first quarter with chest and rib injuries in his first start in front of the hometown crowd.
He was replaced by Kevin Kolb, who suffered a concussion in the season opener that allowed Vick to take the starting quarterback job.
Kolb struggled in his first meaningful action of the season, going 22 for 35 for 201 yards with a touchdown and interception.
If Vick can't play against the 49ers, Kevin Kolb gets another chance to prove he can be the No. 1 quarterback.
"I'm a competitor and I want to play," Kolb said. "I want to win. It's vital for our season and for our team right now to go out and win next week and I hope I get the opportunity. But we'll see what happens with Mike's injury and what the situation is and then we'll go from there."
Vick was sensational as a starter and showed flashes of the form that made him a three-time Pro Bowl QB during six seasons in Atlanta. He had 750 yards passing, six touchdowns and no interceptions, and had also run for 170 yards and one score in 10 quarters. For his efforts, Vick earned NFC offensive player of the month honors.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
philadelphia eagles, michael vick, kevin kolb, andy reid, nfl
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 37 min ago
- Milder Monday 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 37 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 4 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 9 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 37 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
37 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
4 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
15 min ago
- Milder Monday
7 min ago