Eagles' Brent Celek comes through again
DEPTFORD, N.J. - December 20, 2010 (WPVI) -- One day after sparking a tremendous comeback for the Eagles, Brent Celek was working more miracles.
On a Sunday afternoon, toward the end of an otherwise unremarkable football game, Eagles tight end Brent Celek gave this gift to the fans in Philadelphia: A 65 yard, career long, tide-turning touchdown.
"Of the 29 years I've been playing football, that was the most memorable game I ever played," Celek told Action News.
A day later, and barely rested, Brent Celek had something different up his sleeve.
"I love seeing the smile on the kids' faces, that's why I do this," Celek said as he face the line, a long line of people who waited inside Walmart in Deptford, New Jersey for a chance to meet the man who changed the game that changed the Eagles season.
"Actually I wanted to thank him for making that play happen yesterday," fan Al Hodge said, "and winning the game yesterday, because he kicked it off."
But these people didn't come because they heard Brent Celek's story. They came because he heard theirs. Each of these families, some 150 of them, were personally invited by the Eagles tight end and his Take Flight Foundation because they are living through tight times. Each family is financially strapped and each has a member trying to cope with a chronic disease.
For several hours, Celek gave kids who have plenty of reasons to suffer a chance to smile. He signed, for each, a football. But he wanted to give these families more than just a memory; he wanted to give them actual presents. Each family got a gift card so they could get as many presents as $100 would buy them.
"It's going to make it a lot better, a lot easier to deal with, know what I mean?" said Laverne Williams. "Especially the way time are right now, this is a blessing. This is a blessing, trust me when I tell you."
Two days, two different scenarios in which hope ran low. But one man helped deliver a remarkable outcome for both.
philadelphia eagles, kevin kolb, donovan mcnabb, michael vick, andy reid, desean jackson, nfl, brian taff
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler 12 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks 25 min ago
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos 57 min ago
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized 17 min ago
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim...
25 min ago
- Cloudy And Cooler
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos