Birds' Bravest: Eagles give back to heroes
PHILADELPHIA - September 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- This is the beginning of a series of stories that highlight the dangers faced by Philadelphia firefighters every day. These men and women willingly put their lives on the line. One Eagles player knows that risk, firsthand and has chosen to use his unique position to honor the "Birds' Bravest."
Before he became an Offensive Guard for the Philadelphia Eagles, Danny Watkins was a firefighter in his hometown in British Columbia, Canada.
"It runs deep in me, it's something I did with a passion," Watkins said.
To give back to his fellow brothers, Danny is surprising a Philadelphia firefighter with four tickets to an Eagles home game.
He showed up at Engine Company 27 in North Philadelphia like he just dropped by because he was in the neighborhood.
Then Watkins turned to firefighter Mike McGuire and handed two Eagles tickets.
McGuire was critically injured during a high-rise fire in North Philly, back in March.
While inside, rescuing residents, McGuire's air pack ran out of air.
He underwent three hyperbaric chamber treatments and was out of work for months.
McGuire shared his story with humility:
"I don't like calling myself a hero. I'm in shock. It's incredible. This speaks volumes of the Eagles organization. I'm at a loss for words; I don't deserve it, but thank you very much," McGuire said.
"This is the least I can do, is come out and see the guys and try to give back to them a little," Watkins said.
Mike will be attending this Sunday's home game against the New York Giants.
Danny will be giving away four tickets to every home game to a deserving firefighter.
We will bring you those inspiring stories right here on 6abc Action News and 6abc.com.
philadelphia eagles, michael vick, andy reid, desean jackson, nfl, jamie apody
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 2 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
2 min ago