Mom inspires Eagles' Asante Samuel
PHILADELPHIA - November 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Eagles corner Asante Samuel loves to talk on the field and off, but when it comes to his mom Christine, Samuel speaks from the heart.
"I can never explain how much I love her, but she definitely knows. I'm always thinking about [when] you make a play, you want to get in front of the camera and tell 'Mom, I love you and miss you.' She's definitely the inspiration of me playing football and I always want to go out there and make her proud," Samuel said.
She's his inspiration because Christine raised Asante and his two siblings as a single mother in South Florida with very little money. They were so broke they often were evicted from their home and for a time, they even lived in a hotel.
"We never had a stable place where we lived. We lived in probably every city in the Ft. Lauderdale area. We moved around a lot. I can remember times lights being off, asking coaches for some money for food after practices, and things like that," Samuel said.
In fact, Samuel's mom was living in a hotel during his rookie year with the New England Patriots in 2003 until he used his Super Bowl check to buy her a condo.
"Just to give back to her and show her my appreciation of how much I love her and how much I care for her, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world," Samuel said.
That inspired him to do the same for others. This offseason, Samuel started up Bring It Home Single Moms Foundation which builds homes for low-income single mothers.
"I understand how easier life could be if you have a house that you call home, make things easier for the children, and just my way of giving back. I know there are a lot of single parents out there that have a lot of kids and this is my way of trying to help out," Samuel said.
It's a cause that will always hit home with the Eagles Pro Bowler.
Online: Bring It Home Single Moms
philadelphia eagles, michael vick, andy reid, desean jackson, nfl, jeff skversky
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 59 min ago