Mom inspires Eagles' Asante Samuel
PHILADELPHIA - November 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Eagles corner Asante Samuel loves to talk on the field and off, but when it comes to his mom Christine, Samuel speaks from the heart.
"I can never explain how much I love her, but she definitely knows. I'm always thinking about [when] you make a play, you want to get in front of the camera and tell 'Mom, I love you and miss you.' She's definitely the inspiration of me playing football and I always want to go out there and make her proud," Samuel said.
She's his inspiration because Christine raised Asante and his two siblings as a single mother in South Florida with very little money. They were so broke they often were evicted from their home and for a time, they even lived in a hotel.
"We never had a stable place where we lived. We lived in probably every city in the Ft. Lauderdale area. We moved around a lot. I can remember times lights being off, asking coaches for some money for food after practices, and things like that," Samuel said.
In fact, Samuel's mom was living in a hotel during his rookie year with the New England Patriots in 2003 until he used his Super Bowl check to buy her a condo.
"Just to give back to her and show her my appreciation of how much I love her and how much I care for her, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world," Samuel said.
That inspired him to do the same for others. This offseason, Samuel started up Bring It Home Single Moms Foundation which builds homes for low-income single mothers.
"I understand how easier life could be if you have a house that you call home, make things easier for the children, and just my way of giving back. I know there are a lot of single parents out there that have a lot of kids and this is my way of trying to help out," Samuel said.
It's a cause that will always hit home with the Eagles Pro Bowler.
Online: Bring It Home Single Moms
philadelphia eagles, michael vick, andy reid, desean jackson, nfl, jeff skversky
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 4 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos