Bird's Bravest surprise a Philly firefighter
PHILADELPHIA - November 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- The Eagles are gearing up to take on the Cardinals at home this weekend, and with another game comes another Birds' Bravest giveaway.
Offensive Guard Danny Watkins was not alone when he delivered the free tickets.
The help comes all the way from Canada! And this Birds' Bravest recipient sits at the heart of the Philadelphia Fire Department, and serves as the aide to the commissioner himself.
"I got something for you. It's 4 tickets to the Cardinals game this weekend," Danny Watkins said to a surprised Rodney Norris.
"Oh cool!" Rodney said.
Rodney Norris knew immediately he had been set up by his boss.
"I truly am surprised," Rodney said. "I was told I was coming downtown for another mission so to speak."
Over the last year, Rodney has been dealing with the loss of several close family members and medical problems with his wife. But through it all, Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says Rodney kept his head held high.
"Rod is a hero in my eyes, and he's just a great person," said Commissioner Lloyd Ayers.
The give-away was an extra treat for Danny's firefighter buddies who were visiting from Vancouver, Canada.
His captain says he was not surprised that Danny was giving back to his service "brothers".
"His heart is with the fire service," said Captain Lionel Bateman. "He loves the fire department, he loves the guys."
Lionel says even the morning of the NFL draft, Danny and his friends spent three hours at a local fire station, just hanging out.
And this trip was no different.
"I met guys this week, and I'm just like 'wow'. I mean the stuff you guys are doing; it makes me proud to be doing the job that I do. It's a brotherhood wherever we go," said Lionel.
Commissioner Ayers has been excited about the ticket giveaway from day one.
"It's just fantastic, touching our members, people who do a good job, who've been through hardships," Commission Ayers said. "All across the department, whether you are a recipient or just watching, it gives us pride and lets us know that people care about us."
After Sunday, there are three more home games left, so stay with Action News for more surprises!
philadelphia eagles, philadelphia fire department, michael vick, andy reid, desean jackson, nfl, jamie apody
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 52 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 15 min ago
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos