Asante Samuel helps build homes for single moms
PHILADELPHIA - February 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Asante Samuel makes a fast break back to Philadelphia to tackle a worthy cause.
Eagles corner Asante Samuel is trying to tackle an issue that hits very close to home.
Along with Habitat for Humanity, Samuel is helping build homes for single moms. Samuel helped put the finishing touches on a house for a low income single mother with two children Friday afternoon.
"When you come in and put your time and effort into working and you meet the person, and you see the appreciation and the joy and the happiness of that person, it makes you feel really, really good," said Samuel.
Especially considering that Samuel grew up with a single mom with very little money. They were so poor, Samuel says, that they were evicted from their home, and for a time, they even lived in a hotel.
That's why he started the "Bring it Home Single Mom's" Foundation last season.
"If we would have had this when we were growing up life would have been that much easier," said Samuel.
While he is constructing homes in Gray's Ferry, there is no question that in the back of his mind, Samuel is thinking of how he would like to build a championship defense in Philadelphia with the Eagles.
"The way we ended last season definitely gave us a lot of momentum," said Samuels. "We did so well, I think we can bring that into next season."
And Samuel says he hopes to stick around to finish the job, even though he voiced his unhappiness with the Eagles front office last year, and after he was rumored to be on the trading block.
philadelphia eagles, michael vick, andy reid, desean jackson, nfl
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges 10 min ago
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade 54 min ago
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape...
10 min ago