Jimmy Carr of Eagles 1960 NFL Championship team passes away
PHILADELPHIA - August 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jimmy Carr, former Eagles defensive back and assistant coach, has passed away at the age of 79, the Philadelphia Eagles announced Tuesday.
The team says Carr died yesterday morning in Fishers, Indiana.
A veteran of nine NFL seasons with the Chicago Cardinals (1955 and 1957), Eagles (1959-63) and Washington Redskins (1964-65), Carr was the starting left cornerback on the Eagles 1960 NFL Championship team.
He collected 13 of his 15 career interceptions while playing in Philadelphia.
Carr also played one season with the Montreal Alouettes of the CFL in 1958.
After his playing career was over, Carr served 24 years as a NFL assistant coach, including two years as the Eagles defensive coordinator from 1970-71.
He also coached two years in the USFL as the defensive coordinator for the Denver Gold from 1983-84 and three years in NFL Europe from 1995-97.
In 1985, Carr was part of the defensive coaching staff for the New England Patriots AFC Championship team.
Carr starred collegiately at Morris Harvey (now the University of Charleston) and was an NAIA Hall of Fame inductee in 1962.
The East Bank, West Virginia, native played football and baseball at East Bank High School.
Carr is survived by his wife, Lila, their two children, Ken and Gwen, and seven grandchildren.
Memorial service information:
Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 2 pm
Hamilton Hills Baptist Church
10293 E. 126th St
Fishers, In 46038
Donations in honor of Jimmy Carr can be made to
5211 W Laurel St, suite 102
Tampa FL 33607
philadelphia eagles, michael vick, andy reid, desean jackson, nfl
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup 15 min ago
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Finding the perfect bra