Eagles visit "healthy" Montco school
HORSHAM, Pa. - December 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- An elementary school in Montgomery County was besieged by birds on Tuesday... as in Philadelphia Eagles.
Three members of the team wanted to show that there's more to life than football - and a disappointing season - especially when it comes to kids and their health.
From the breezeway to the cafeteria, you could hear the cheers building. Hallowell Elementary in Horsham was buzzing with the impending arrival of several Philadelphia Eagles.
Swoop led the charge with towels waving at a frenzied pitch.
There was a round of the Eagles fight song and soon came the players. DeMeco Ryans, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Trent Cole.
The Birds might be on a cold streak, but the welcome was warm.
"I'd just never seen them without their helmets on," said 5th grader T.J. Bartie.
"Even though they're not very good this year, they were good in 2004," said 4th grader Sam Smith.
The players were here on behalf of the NFL after Hallowell was named one of the Super Schools through the Play 60 campaign to encourage kids to stay active. The school was awarded a $10,000 grant for health and wellness equipment and programming.
"We all worked really hard to keep healthy here," said 5th grader Kaela Brace.
"We care about them enough to come out here and make healthy choices," said DeMeco Ryans.
Three teachers had submitted essays on their school's commitment to healthy living. and they soon got to prove their fitness chops under the watchful eye of the pro-athletes.
Students worked on their form, pumped some iron and showed that being fit is certainly fun.
"They did great. It's a great group of kids," said Trent Cole.
A matching $10,000 grant will be awarded to another school in the district, but that school hasn't been picked yet.
philadelphia eagles, pennsylvania, montgomery county, nfl, katherine scott
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show 32 min ago