Eagles visit "healthy" Montco school
HORSHAM, Pa. - December 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- An elementary school in Montgomery County was besieged by birds on Tuesday... as in Philadelphia Eagles.
Three members of the team wanted to show that there's more to life than football - and a disappointing season - especially when it comes to kids and their health.
From the breezeway to the cafeteria, you could hear the cheers building. Hallowell Elementary in Horsham was buzzing with the impending arrival of several Philadelphia Eagles.
Swoop led the charge with towels waving at a frenzied pitch.
There was a round of the Eagles fight song and soon came the players. DeMeco Ryans, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Trent Cole.
The Birds might be on a cold streak, but the welcome was warm.
"I'd just never seen them without their helmets on," said 5th grader T.J. Bartie.
"Even though they're not very good this year, they were good in 2004," said 4th grader Sam Smith.
The players were here on behalf of the NFL after Hallowell was named one of the Super Schools through the Play 60 campaign to encourage kids to stay active. The school was awarded a $10,000 grant for health and wellness equipment and programming.
"We all worked really hard to keep healthy here," said 5th grader Kaela Brace.
"We care about them enough to come out here and make healthy choices," said DeMeco Ryans.
Three teachers had submitted essays on their school's commitment to healthy living. and they soon got to prove their fitness chops under the watchful eye of the pro-athletes.
Students worked on their form, pumped some iron and showed that being fit is certainly fun.
"They did great. It's a great group of kids," said Trent Cole.
A matching $10,000 grant will be awarded to another school in the district, but that school hasn't been picked yet.
philadelphia eagles, pennsylvania, montgomery county, nfl, katherine scott
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 16 min ago
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?