49ers CEO gives Super Bowl tickets to longtime fan
The 49ers head to New Orleans this afternoon to prepare for their Super Bowl matchup with the Baltimore Ravens.
Most of the 49er Faithful will be here in the Bay Area cheering on the team. But a lucky few will be in New Orleans at the Superdome.
"I opened up my email and it said 'Jed York' and I went, 'what?!'" said longtime 49er fan Terry White.
The Walnut Creek resident was having a tough time getting tickets to the Super Bowl. But then came the email from the 49ers' CEO, Jed York, telling him he won two free tickets.
York conducted the contest on Twitter, and in the email he explains why he picked White, who's been a season ticket holder for 45 years and has attended all five of the team's Super Bowls.
"I wanted to give somebody a chance to go to the game who embodies what it means to be a 49er faithful," said White, reading the email. "Tickets are on the Niners as a huge thank you for your years of support. Bring us luck. Best, Jed."
For Marc Goodwin, this will be his first Super Bowl. He was among a handful of season ticket holders who were given the opportunity to buy tickets through a lottery. He bought two for $950 each -- one for him and one for his brother.
"I've never been to a Super Bowl," Goodwin said. "It's a great opportunity to see my little brother and you know, I'm just totally stoked about this team."
But not everyone who bought tickets through the lottery is going to go to the Super Bowl.
One family told ABC7 that they plan on selling their tickets to pay for their season tickets next year.
As for White, he would never consider selling his tickets. He wants those bragging rights, to be able to say he's gone to all six 49er Super Bowls.
"I brag about that I've been to all five of them you know and everybody looks at me and says, 'you what?' White said. "Now, I won't have to say I've just gone to five of six, so I'll be, have been to six."
The 49ers will be heading out to New Orleans later Sunday. They will be leaving their practice facilities at noon where they'll be taken by bus to Mineta San Jose. Their flight is scheduled to leave at 1:30 p.m.
san francisco 49ers, nfl, nfl playoffs, super bowl, nfl, lilian kim
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 9 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
9 min ago