Fans give San Francisco 49ers a big send-off
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Fans gave the 49ers a big send-off as the team left the Bay Area and headed to New Orleans.
Right after the team's charter flight landed at Louis Armstrong International Airport, Coach Jim Harbaugh was seen carrying one of his children off the plane. The traveling party then boarded several buses before receiving a police escort to the team's hotel.
The 49ers left their headquarters to a cheerful and optimistic send-off. We now have to wait a week to see if all that optimism pays off.
Dozens of excited fans waited outside the team's training camp in Santa Clara to see their team off to the Super Bowl.
Some, like Alex Amador, have waited 18 years for them to win the big game, "I'm like a kid waiting to go to Disneyland the next day, this is exciting," Amador said. "This is a real emotional time for me. I've been a Niner fan since I was a child."
Fan Viri Arguello brought along her 6-month-old boy Xanthos, "I was born into the 49ers," Arguello said. "That's my brother back there, taught me all I know. It's so exciting I just can't believe it, we can't wait for the trophy."
We asked season ticket holders Andres Baires and friends if they are making the trip to New Orleans to see the game in person.
"We're hoping to," Baires said. "We're still working on details but we're hoping. It's going to take about seven thousand dollars." And that's just one person's expenses.
Inside the gates of the 49er camp, tight end Vernon Davis was packing an extra pair of sneakers to take to New Orleans and quarterback Colin Kaepernick wore a knit cap to keep his head warm for the trip. They all seemed to be in a good mood. The team got a big cheer as their buses left the camp.
At Mineta San Jose International Airport, the team boarded their chartered Delta 747. A few dozen diehard fans waited by the fence to see them off.
"I am the biggest 49er fan," said 15-year-old Alexa Marsh. "That's why I'm here today. They're going to win the Super Bowl."
Even workers from the Oakland Airport came to San Jose, posing for a photo and cheering as the team's plane started to leave. And as the charter jet taxied off the airport fire department gave the team a water salute to send them off.
san francisco 49ers, nfl, nfl playoffs, super bowl, santa clara, san jose, mineta san jose international airport, nfl
- Police search for missing Delco mother 10 min ago
- Record Warmth! 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man 41 min ago
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 45 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova...
45 min ago
- Record Warmth!
7 min ago