Couple finds way to attend Super Bowl on budget
SAN FRANCISCO -- Niners fans are getting to themselves to the big game Sunday by whatever means possible. One San Francisco couple put together a fly-drive-park plan and discovered a new online planning tool while they were at it.
Brandon Duncan and Kristal Pollack have been working on posters for their trip to New Orleans. They're not getting there by plane or car, but instead a 31-foot ford Maverick RV they're renting in Houston. "I got online and was looking at flights and hotel prices and we were both kind of like wow, sticker shock, big time," Kristal said.
"I thought is there a way I can do this cheaper but still have a fun, great experience. So, I actually don't know what possessed me to think I'm going to get an RV and drive," Brandon recalled.
There was no way they were going to miss this game. They've helped the Niners get there by wearing their lucky shirts, religiously. So, with tickets in hand, they came up with a plan to fly to Houston, rent the RV, and drive on to New Orleans. But then what?
Brandon found a site he'd never heard of. ParkWhiz had the answer. "They had a whole weekend where Friday evening through Sunday night, RV parking like a quarter-mile from the stadium. I thought, this is too good to be true," Brandon said.
It would cost $1,500, but it did offer tailgating unlike the stadium. So, after some quick research to make sure ParkWhiz was legit, Brandon pounced just in the nick of time. "I reserved it. It was literally the last spot they had in the lot. So, we just barely got in. Otherwise, I'd just be circling New Orleans in the RV or something," he said.
Chicago-based ParkWhiz says the average price paid for two or three days to park a car ranges from about $100 to $375. The average for a tailgating RV space is between $500 and nearly $1,900. It's a small price to pay when you consider, "We're going to win," Kristal told ABC7 News.
san francisco 49ers, super bowl, travel, nfl, heather ishimaru
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 5 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ