49ers Culliver says gays not welcome on team
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco 49ers defensive back Chris Culliver said in a radio interview that he did not want any gay players on the team.
"No, we don't got no gay people on the team. They got to get up out of here if they do," he said.
The 49ers immediately issued an apology and said there is no room for discrimination in their organization.
The team issued a statement Wednesday saying, "The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community."
The team didn't say whether the second-year player will face disciplinary action or a fine.
Late Wednesday, Culliver also released a statement saying, "The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly."
"Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience," he added.
Culliver will address the media Thursday morning regarding the remarks.
lgbt, san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 40 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 56 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
18 min ago