49ers Culliver says gays not welcome on team
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco 49ers defensive back Chris Culliver said in a radio interview that he did not want any gay players on the team.
"No, we don't got no gay people on the team. They got to get up out of here if they do," he said.
The 49ers immediately issued an apology and said there is no room for discrimination in their organization.
The team issued a statement Wednesday saying, "The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris. There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community."
The team didn't say whether the second-year player will face disciplinary action or a fine.
Late Wednesday, Culliver also released a statement saying, "The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel. It has taken me seeing them in print to realize that they are hurtful and ugly."
"Those discriminating feelings are truly not in my heart. Further, I apologize to those who I have hurt and offended, and I pledge to learn and grow from this experience," he added.
Culliver will address the media Thursday morning regarding the remarks.
lgbt, san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 57 min ago
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age 51 4 min ago
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Photos: Pictures of bear sightings in the area
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy at age...
4 min ago
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
57 min ago