49ers fan fever going strong in Santa Clara
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- 49ers fever is not confined to San Francisco. Santa Clara residents are thrilled about the 49ers' success and the fact that the team will be in their own backyard when the new stadium is completed.
The new 49ers home will attract tens of thousands of people to Santa Clara's restaurants and bars. It will also mean that longtime fans like Bob Schikore won't have to travel as far for a game.
"It takes me an hour to drive up and an hour to drive back from Candlestick so this way I get to take the light rail and we're all set," he said.
Brandon Gojenola likes the idea of a home town team.
"I'm ecstatic, you know, I've never had a team in my home town besides the Sharks and it's phenomenal that my favorite team in the Bay Area is going to be just down the street," he said.
Local businesses are looking forward to the revenue these fans will bring them. C&J'S on Lafayette Street is luring Super Bowl fans in on Sunday with free food. Bartender Jonathan Goodell says he's already seen an uptick in fans.
"49er fans have been all over the place recently and in here I've seen nothing but red," he said.
And that means black at the register.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, super bowl, nfl
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 22 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids 29 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
22 min ago