Disappointed 49ers fans cause minor problems in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco police are reporting minor flare-ups of violence in the Mission District as disappointed San Francisco 49ers fans react to their team's loss to the Baltimore Ravens Sunday night.
A few people have thrown bottles at police officers around 24th and Mission streets and 16th and Mission streets following the 49ers 34-31 loss, Officer Carlos Manfredi said this evening.
Police were out in force this evening in potential hot spots such as the Mission District in an effort to prevent a repeat of the World Series violence. Manfredi said officers are working to respond quickly and keep things under control.
"It's nowhere compared to the Giants," Manfredi said, referring to the violence and vandalism that broke out after the San Francisco Giants' won the World Series against the Detroit Tigers in October 2012.
Elsewhere in the city, in neighborhoods such as the Haight Ashbury, fans reported a somber mood but no violence.
Mayor Ed Lee congratulated the 49ers for their "spectacular performance" this evening.
"The entire team demonstrated what you can accomplish with enough perseverance and teamwork," Lee said in a statement.
"The journey of the 49ers in their 'Quest for Six' reinvigorated San Francisco Bay Area football fans in a way unseen for nearly two decades," Lee added.
san francisco 49ers, super bowl, jim harbaugh, colin kaepernick, north beach, mission district, nfl
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 26 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
39 min ago